[plug] closed source DVD playback

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 5 09:55:12 WST 2001

Whats all the fuss about folks?
Dont we already have open-source DVD players for Linux?

Re closed-source being non-portable across Linux systems, I would point
out a significant exception. If its distributed as a binary library
with no dependencies, then you can use it with an open-source app. and
recompile the app for whatever (i386) platform.
   A good example is the use of Win32 video and audio codecs in Linux.
Now you can play just about any video file from the internet using
the win32 DLLs.
  Of course while such a library module could allow legal DVD playing on
Linux without giving the keys away (any more than a windoze app), I dont
suppose it could restrict copying. Would there be a way to give the
closed-source library access to the video card with minimal dependencies,
so it will work on all i386 Linuxies for years to come?
  Would frame-buffer access be enough, or does it need video
hardware-acceleration access?

--
Mike Holland  <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
			--==--