[plug] Mandrake-8 ("M" ??) install

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 9 09:00:57 WST 2001

Greetings!

After easily loading Mandrake 7.0 and using it for some time I was eager to work with Mandrake 8.0.  The interface for loading is professional and smooth.  Choosing options is a dream.

However after re-booting I now have a problem:  many of the pre-existing programs do not work.  I investigated the "games" side of things because this PC was intended for my children.  Only the new games work; the existing games do not run.  It seems that the extra games that I selected have been loaded into a different directory than the existing games?  So the menus do not "link"(?) to programs.  (This is not limited to games - for instance Abi Word does not work.)

<< I loaded Mandrake-8 Workstation and Server.  KDE desktop was omitted - I only wanted Gnome.  As well, I may have asked a few of the Server services not to load at boot.>>

Can you give me any feedback on this?  Has it been a problem for others?  What is the fix?  Do I have to find each of the programs and re-link them?  Panic!!  I want my Linux!!  Linux!!!

Kind Regards,
wayne  (ex-Windows)