[plug] dead network

connell connellp at wantree.com.au
Fri Oct 12 18:56:30 WST 2001

Hi people
	I am having a tad bit of difficulty at the moment.  To start with, I
managed to kill my firewall and squid server.  A good opportunity to
upgrade I hear you say, and I am taking that opportunity (just don't ask
how I managed to destroy the filesystems).  I installed Redhat 7.1 but
recompiled a 2.2.19 kernel because I need the ip_masq_vpn patch.  It
compiled and networking was ok because I could do an smbfs mount to a
windows machine.
	I recompiled to fix another problem and now the networking is NOT ok.
The card works (steady green, flashing orange LEDs).  The kernel driver
installs ok (dmesg) and ifconfig shows eth0 is up.  The problem: nothing
happens, eg:

	ping -c 4 basil
	Warning: no SO_TIMESTAMP support, falling back to SIOCGSTAMP
	PING: basil (n.n.n.n) from x.x.x.x : 56(84) bytes of data.

	-- basil ping statistics --

	I am assuming I've left something out of the kernel configuration but I
am stumped as to what.  Any hints gratefully accepted.

PaulC