[plug] MDK 8.1 Install Blues...

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Oct 16 22:20:39 WST 2001

On Tuesday 16 October 2001 20:31, Anthony Peck wrote:
> I seem to be missing a heap of /dev files,

Not missing, devfs hasn't deigned to make them, for whatever reason.

> including fd* files
> needed to access floppy.  Install proceeds fine, even lets me
> make a bootdisk using the floppy drive, but when I try to
> mount /mnt/floppy after install reboot I get...

> mount: /dev/fd0: unknown device

You can make the devices by hand with mknod of a MAKEDEV script if devfs is
too dense to do it automagically. I've run across this problem once only,
where devfs didn't make /dev/ppp and fixed it (which in theory I don't have
to do, but never mind) by doing a modprobe ppp before trying to run pppd
itself.

If this was Debian, devfs would still be in the testing tree. OTOH it has
saved me having to manually make some dev nodes already.