[plug] kernel 2.4.12

Simon Scott Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Oct 22 13:05:49 WST 2001

	Sorry, I forgot to mention Im compiling it on Alpha

	So the correct answer is 'make vmlinux'

	Thanks anyway

	From:	Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> on 22/10/2001
02:01 PM
	Please respond to plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	To:	plug at plug.linux.org.au@SMTP at Exchange
	cc:

	Subject:	Re: [plug] kernel 2.4.12

	Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com wrote:

	>Hi all
	>
	>I downloaded 2.4.12 source from kernel.org last night and patched
it with the
	>latest DAC960 driver. The problem is, when I 'make bzImage' or
'make zImage' it
	>fails because there are no matching targets in the makefile.
	>
	>The makefile doesnt look damaged, and I *think* a 'make all'
actually built the
	>kernel (not sure, I went to bed) but has anyone else witnessed
this?

	No, but similar things. Things to check:

	/usr/include/linux is a symlink to
/usr/local/src/linux/include/linux
	(or wherever you keep your kernesource/include/linux)
	/usr/include/asm is a symlink to /usr/local/src/linux/include/asm

	make oldconfig clean dep bzImage modules

	If that fails, make mrproper and reconfigure, then make dep bzImage
modules.

	Did you apply the 2.4.11-dontuse patch before 2.4.12? It's a (very
very
	slightly) broken kernel but it is required before you can patch is
	2.4.12. Of course, patch-2.4.12 should've failed if this was the
case...

	At a last resort get a new kernel tarball. I can't think why you
could
	need to but something really crazy could be happening here.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com