[plug]: weird box behavior

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 29 12:47:59 WST 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:21, Simon Scott wrote:
> Another thing, what FSB you running at?
100MHz. DRAM @100 too despite being PC133 - to be safe. (And no running at
133 doesn't help).

> 	The KT133 chipset is notoriously bad, I think the max you can push
> the FSB to safely is 114Mhz, but when I had one it was in a desktop machine
> so it never ran for more than a day before being shutdown.
Yeah. I bought an A7V for home and I could've got an AMD chipset board for
the same price :-(
The KT133 && KT133A seem... quirky. Built for speed not reliability?? Seems
to be the trend in pc manufacture these days.

> 	KNowing how bad my KT133 chipset was, Id swap the motherboard out
> before doing anything else. YMMV.
If only... you talk as if motherboards were everywhere - like they should be
in a place with *SPARE PARTS*...

We're in the midst of a slow but steady replacement program for the old
editorial machines (P100s, dying like flies). So I think I'm going to give up
on the f*ing thing and farm it out to editorial where it doesn't matter if
its not absolutely 100% since its a workstn thats rebooted every day, etc.
I'll just use the next new machine to replace the server, build it slightly
above spec (ie Thunderbird, decent board - Tian do AMD?).

Thanks for all the suggestions all. If only one had helped... (PSU swap
didn't, tried most of the others already, inc total strip-down and minimal
rebuild). Time to give up on the blasted thing, it works well enough to be a
win98 box running word, get a decent box for the server.

Anybody got some experience with getting really reliable, reasonably priced
boards? (pref. AMD for price reasons, future-proofing). We use an EPoX board
in the other server, but that was more out of haste than real consideration -
(oh bugger the server has fried on wednesday evening, production day, only 1
place open, 1 board in stock, etc).

Now if I had a budget to look at I'd get a proper server...