[plug] startx...

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Sep 4 11:46:28 WST 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Mike Holland wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Christian Müller wrote:
>
> > use 'X' (an upper case X, that should do it), or start kdm or gdm with the
>
> I wouldnt do that! 'X' is a link to the X server - not much use without a
> window manager etc.
>
> The missing 'startx' is a wrapper script for xinit, so you could just run
> that directly. See the xinit man page.
>
> BTW, gnome seems to totally ignore my .xinitrc - where should I put
> startup commands for X on gnome?
>   I want to disable caps-lock, xset dpms, set xhost auth, load resources.
>
> I'm running Mandrake with kdm. If I turn off the graphical login, whats
> the correct way to start a gnome session from a console login?
Personally:
I have ~/.Xclients
and ~/.xsession is a symlink to ~/.Xclients
---~/.Xclients reads
#!/bin/sh

###
## For playing games every byte of RAM counts
#xterm

###
## when I just want a window manager non of that fancy crap
#exec /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager

###
## When I want the system default session manager
#exec /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager

###
## When I want GNOME
exec gnome-session

###
## When I want KDE
#exec kde2
---

that I just run startx.

This is debian but it works equally well (except for the /etc/alternatives
stuff) under RedHat.  So I'd expect Mandrake would be fine.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */