[plug] Problems installing RH7.1 on Alphaserver

Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com
Fri Sep 21 10:08:22 WST 2001

Hi all

RTFM last night, and found that life is much easier when you use SRM rather than
the clunky Windows NT boot menu (Alphabios or something)

*However*

When I boot the RH CD, it boots the kernel, detects everything, and then crashes
when it tries to start Anaconda (supposedly the installer). The errors seem
almost random, some python errors, a few sig 11's etc. I managed to get the
installer to run once, but I didnt have the StorageWorks box plugged in and
wanted to see if it could detect it for me (its plugged into a DAC960 RAID
controller, seeming configured for RAID 5). The box being plugged in or not
makes no difference to the errors, it seems it was a fluke to actually get it
running.

I read up on sig 11 errors in the installer, and most sites point to flaky
hardware.

However, the box never did this when I was using MILO to boot (something I dont
want to do, nor to RH recommend its usage). MILO causes other problems for me,
when it attempts to spin up the second scsi disk (there's 3 in the main cabinet)
it hangs sometimes.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could cause this? My next step will be to
update the firmware and take the cpu board out and clean it down with metho (it
is coated in red dust :) and after that Ill probably start ripping ram out.
Everything I read about these problems were aimed at intel hardware, so I dont
know if it applies or not. Does this sound like a hardware problem????

HELP!

Maybe I should bring it down to the next installfest, stand back and laugh? :)

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com