[plug] [meta] [3chillis] Netiquette discussion

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Sep 26 13:01:31 WST 2001

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:30, Bret Busby wrote:

And I quoted the whole thing to show what I would normally delete, prefixed
with XXX.

XXX > > Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:28:25 +0800
XXX > > From: Leon Brooks <leon at brooks.fdns.net>
XXX > > Reply-To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
XXX > > To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
XXX > > Subject: Re: [plug] [OT again] Why the US will lose [cropped]
XXX > > II Resent-Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:26:00 +0800 (WST)
XXX > > Resent-From: plug at plug.linux.org.au
XXX > >

What is all of this rubbish for? Why not just ``On <date>, <name> wrote:''?

> > On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:58, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Leon Brooks wrote:
XXX > > >
> > > Perhaps it is time to shoot the messenger.
XXX > >
> > Yes. Do stop quoting the whole hog if you're not going to refer to it in
> > detail. [Bites down hard on rest of comment]
XXX >
> Well, if you people are going to do whatever yopu can to maximise your
> wastage of bandwidth, and encourage the maximisation of bandwidth wastage,
> what is the point of editing out whole messages? It is all irrelevant
> anyway...

Bret, the [OT] in the header means ``ignore the content if you're not
interested but many others on the list may be.'' So why haven't you just
ignored it? You've been on lists for years, and can't fail to have missed the
significance.

Now look at the list archives and note that more than half of the traffic
under this subject consists of you whining about it, and most significantly,
quoting the entire message word for word just to say ``don't do this.''

XXX >
XXX > > > Can we please have an end to all this crap?
XXX > >
XXX > > Unfortunately not. Unless you have a world-beating suggestion?
XXX >
XXX > Simple.
XXX >
XXX > Just get back to the topic of this mailing list?
XXX >
XXX > Or have you forgotten it in your hysteria?

You seem to have a little petulance session like this about annually. Is it
Spring Fever or something?

Why can't I occasionally post something mildly off topic, but general
interest, AND FLAG IT AS OFF TOPIC, without having you on my case? Are you
the list moderator? Am I posting daily bulletins? Am I quoting the last
seventeen messages' entire header set? Attaching images? What's your problem?

Oh, for the good old days of Fidonet when the ZC (Colin Wheat) would simply
have ruled you Too Easily Annoyed and directed your BBS owner to ban you from
posting for a month. )-: