[plug] wget on iinet's opera - linux 2.0.33

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 30 22:05:29 WST 2001

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Mike wrote:

> At the time though shell access was cancelled by iinet on the person's
> complaint. Who can say how this occured at the time. Iinet did
> apologise and access was reinstated - though some 3 days later
> and such cancellation was without notification.

"shell access was cancelled by iinet"

In that event, responsibility for any harm resulting from that action
surely rests with iinet. Any contract you have regarding services you will
receive rests with them, and not with any other party.

I also believe that shell access is offered by iiNet as a courtesy to
their clients - it's not actually a service that you pay for, or that
iiNet are at all obliged to deliver.

> I therefore could not set up client files on my storage  and
> requisite password setup through shell access - ie. htaccess etc
> at the time I needed for client access from their US office.

I'd be careful about relying upon services you aren't actually guaranteed
to receive.

> Private email traffic is irrelevant as is the smiley used.
>
> Making implication as to purposeful acts on a public forum
> without provocation is not mature or appropriate.

I don't believe Paul ever said you brought opera down intentionally. In
fact, all he said was that you filled up /tmp several times. If that isn't
true, he owes you an apology I guess. If it is true, though, then can I
ask for an explanation of why what Paul said was defamatory?

Last time I checked, pointing out someone's actions was still legal in
Australia.

> If the respondent has any qualms as to my resolve I suggest he
> search Australian legal indexes. I have little qualm prosecuting
> Australian trade commission in 1990 when my previous law firm
> advised it "...couldn't be done... technical complexity... ".

Your comments are not in the spirit of a community mailing list.

If you're trying to save face here, I would like to point out that your
cries of "i'll sue you!" have almost certainly done more harm to your
reputation on this list, than any comments Paul could ever make.

--
Andrew Francis
locust at iinet.net.au