[plug]

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 1 17:05:29 WST 2002

Bret Busby wrote:
> It would not be run by people hiding behind pseudonyms, that's for
> sure. At least I have the integrity to use my real name. I have not posted
> to this list, any message, hiding behind a pseudonym.

So skribe doesn't use his real name - why is that such a problem?  You post
under the name 'Bret Busby'. Outside the plug mailing list I've never heard
of you, and have no proof that it's your real name. For all I (or anyone who
doesn't know you personally) knows, that could be a psuedonym too.

The point about the Net, as most of us know quite well, is that there is no
proof of provenance for email anyway. A username is an arbitrarily chosen
string of characters, not a legal entity. As such, I'm entitled to open
another email account and post under the name 'Martin Emmery' if I chose.
Very few people would know if it was my real name (fewer would care I'm
sure), but it would appeaer to mean more to you than 'skribe'. Odd that.

The Hooker