[plug] X over digital projecter

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 16 22:23:28 WST 2002

Dell 8000 laptop.

Have used two types, both worked fine at 1024x768. (not sure what they
were!)  Had to start (boot) with laptop switched to the projector or
resolution ended up in the weird LCD size which the projector would not
sync to (1400x1050).  Once up and in X I could use the standard keys to
switch back and forward.  Need to fix this as it distracts people when
you are talking and they are watching the boot messages - tried putting
a lens cap on, turning the projector out of focus but not ideal.

Have two scripts that basicly use chkconfig, alt fstabs etc to turn off
and on services whether I am using it as a laptop or desktop.  i.e.,
shut them off so no network, proxy and any other extraneous things when
next booted.  Used desktop icons so I just hit one before shutting down
to switch.  Speeds up bootup considerably (specially samba mount
timeouts!).

Have used OO and Star Office for ppt's.  Very slow to startup.  ooqstart
helps a "little".  This machine switches from 1000mhz to 700mhz when on
battery so ppts can miss keypresses sometimes etc.  oo is a bit slower
than powerpoint (alt os is 2000pro) when loading large graphics which
can be a trap.  Last time someone had a java app they wanted to use and
galeon and jdk worked fine.

Reccomend you try it out the evening before just to familiarise yourself
with the system if it can be arranged.  Some of those DP's can be real
pigs and X can need some hand massaging which can be timeconsuming if
you are not prepared.

OS is Mandrake 8.1 - good for this type of thing - everthing including
the kitchen sink so most requests can be satisfied with little fuss and
no network needed (cd's are copied to disk so all Mandrake rpm's are
there when needed)

Also looks like a DP would be great for Quake etc!

Hope this helps.
BillK