[plug] Schools [taken] out today?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Apr 19 12:13:14 WST 2002

On Friday 19 April 2002 10:32, skribe wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:21, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
>> Their statement that "It is a legal requirement that pre-installed
>> operating systems remain with a machine for the life of the machine" is
>> not part of any law of which I'm aware, except that I am not super
>> familiar with the MS EULA.

> If enough funds can be raised for a legal challenge this would be worth
> fighting.

In Oz, at least, that's false advertising and possibly fraud. If I ship a
machine with Linux installed, there's no legal requirement that the machine
remain Linux. Someone else could quite happily and legally install OpenBSD on
it.

I think suing the BSAA for `sending letters demanding money, with menaces' (ie
extortion) would be a heart-warming experience, especially if we could double
the hit by including Microsoft themselves in the case.

Cheers; Leon