[plug] Compact Flash card readers

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Apr 30 10:30:35 WST 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:59:56AM +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> I am looking to buy a USB Compact Flash card reader to complement my new
> digital camera.

Is your digital camera supported by linux? You may find that a separate
Compact Flash card reader isn't required.

> But before buying, I thought I'd ask...
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for supported USB Compact Flash
> card readers, available locally?

I can't give advice on which brands/models although the kernel config mentions
a few (see the drivers/usb/storage directory). I bought myself a cheap no-name
USB CF reader which turned out to be an re-badged SIIG model.

Unfortunately it didn't work with linux straight off and I had to patch the
kernel to recognise it as a usb storage device.  In my case someone else had
done the tricky work of figuring out all the options that needed to be set
but I'm sure trial and error could be used.

FYI the patch was a simple addition to
/usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h:

    UNUSUAL_DEV( 0x05e3, 0x0700, 0x0000, 0xffff,
                "SIIG",
                "SIIG CompactFlash Card Reader",
                US_SC_SCSI, US_PR_BULK, NULL,
                US_FL_FIX_INQUIRY ),