[plug] Re: Bandwidth prices [was School Web Page]

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 8 13:41:07 WST 2002

> but sometimes
> the service can be almost overwhelming compared to the service you would
> expect here.

Yeah. My ex-boss, who moved back to the USA about a year ago, has a 3
mbit un-metered cable connection for $60 US / month ( I think ).
Overwhelming? Just a bit...

I wouldn't mind so much that what we have here is of less-than-ideal
value if it werent' for the (IMHO) incredibly painful way its done. BYTE
CHARGES ARE FUNDAMENTALLY STUPID, a fact that will become obvious to
random bobs # 1 , 2 & 3 only once unmetered accounts become affordable
(if ever). There's a lot of stuff I can do on slower connections like
56k and (apparently) DoV ISDN that is not an option on ADSL. Examples:
	internet radio
	streaming video
	VNC

Aren't these the things ADSL is usually marketed / hyped as being _for_?
  But yet with a 3 gig cap (~ std) you can listen to 128kbit 'net radio
for only (fires up calc) 6.8 hours before hitting that cap and either
being shaped (if you're lucky) or getting charged at $0.50/min (
assuming 6c/mb) thereafter. And that assumes that 'net radio is all you
use your link for.

THIS IS ABSURD. ADSL is being crippled to be less functional than std
56k services, just faster. It is _not_ something that only affects the
techies, as more people are becoming aware of the streaming media
services etc available on the 'net. Then they get their service bills....

The average aust user uses <1g mainly because the average user is
prevented from using the full capabilities of the connection by the
stupid pricing structures. Sure, most people wouldn't use most of an
un-capped link at first but as it became more common more people would
hear about what they could do. As it is, if I wanted (after getting
ADSL) to remote-admin the NT server from home for more than a very short
time I'd have to do so by dialing out on a 56k and enduring the
cripplingly awful speed (for vnc).

I think I'll be getting a 2'nd phone line and dual ISDN. It may be
obsolete, slow and expensive (and I'd have to give money to telstra) but
at least I'd get a constant reliable service w/o massive cost spikes.
Shaping is marginally more reasonable than the other offerings of DSL
providers, but shaping _to_ _56k_ is overdoing it IMHO.

There is the flip-side admittedly. While data transfer _does_ _not_ cost
money , the infrastructure to support large transfer rates does and as
customer bases and connection speeds increase, that infrastructure must
be upgraded. I still think that byte-charging is a backwards way of
doing it - it reduces the upgrades req'd by making customers too afraid
to use the full capabilities of their link as well as providing the more
benificial and focused-upon "user pays" aspect.

I think that Aust broadband pricing will come back to bite us - hard -
in a few years as the rest of the world begins to make real use of the
high-speed links and we can't.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)