[plug] [PLUG + LCA-HELPERS] A lurker looking to become more active

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Aug 19 12:05:47 WST 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Jason Bainbridge wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I've been lurking on the list for quite a while but due to a change in my
> personal circumstances ie. I'm now single and live in the city not way out
> in suburbia, I'm looking to become more active with going to meetings and
> what not.
>
> >From what I can make out there is a weekly LCA Helper's meeting every
> >monday night (at UCC?) and there is PLUG meetings every Tuesday that
> >alternate between UCC and UWA? Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't even know
> >what UCC stands for. I've also got a paper submitted to hopefully present
> >at LCA so does that mean that there is a conflict of interest for me if I
> >get involved with LCA-Helpers?
>
> I'm mainly interested in attending PLUG get togethers but would like to help
> out with LCA as well if I can so if anyone can give me a quick run over of
> what's on where, I'll do what I can to be there.
>
> Regards, Jason *eagerly awaiting his pressed Woody cd's so he can rebuild
> his system*

Well from a PLUG point of view we meet twice per month.

The second Tuesday of each month is a "seminar" meeting held at TAFE.
The fourth Monday of each month is a "workshop" meeting held a UCC.

The seminar's are slighly more formal, we arrange a speaker ans they give a
formal presenatation on a topic.  the August meeting was Leon Brooks talking
about LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project).  The next meeting wil be Michael
Hunt on OSS in the 3rd world, held at central TAFE on Tuesday 10th Sept.

The workshop's are very informal, people are encouraged to brin along thier
computer and have a bunch of geeks try to fix the problems.