[plug] the flamewar at hand. make it stop. make it stop!

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Aug 20 19:48:51 WST 2002

PLEASE SEND ALL REPLIES TO ME AND ME ONLY (unless you really want to
keep this on the list. but people might kill you....)

Whoa, a lot can happen in a day on PLUG... Over 50 messages today
on this ONE thread! And one aim of all of this was to minimize
bandwidth usage (amongst not spreading viruses). And I honestly
wasn't too bothered. I just put the 30KB limit as a proposed
solution for those it did bother, and it still seems the sensible
solution that will block UNNECESSARY viruses and large attachments.

So, wayne wrote:
> Any chance you can switch to sending to the list without attachments?

I no longer sign my plug mail for this reason. OE doesn't handle it
correctly and people whinge. *sigh*

Ohh now it makes sense! Now I know why you're picking on me and
JamesB so much. We don't write our messages and then forward them as
attachments. They're just signed. Your Outlook Express is too broken
to read a standard RFC compliant message properly, so don't flame us
for that - especially on a Linux focused list.

> No need for the attachments.

Leon's put forward some pretty strong cases. I'm sure there also
exist vulnerabilities in LookOut/OE which don't require attachments
at all. It is entirely possible to have a HTML only email, which is
"inline" and it could contain some malicious code or scripting
without the need for any attachments. (so filter HTML then you might
say. another kettle of fish)

--snipped a lot of "UNNECESSARY" quoting--

> Why add extra 100 bytes (more or less)?

I don't see how a 100 byte signature is unacceptable, compared to
1kb of untrimmed quotes.

Anyway, then Bret said lets make a poll:
> Please reply, to the list, inserting an "x" in one of the above

One of the motives behind the discussion was to cut down bandwidth.
And everybody just replied to the list!? It would've been far more
sensible to ask Colin to put up a poll on the PLUG site, than invite
another 20 messages into the thread.

Not that I love to have the last word, but can we _please_ take the
repetition at least off list, new ideas are welcome, but from
today's 50 emails, a lot of it looked pretty damn similar. So send
replies to this email to me and me only.

Cheers,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham