[plug] installfest(s) - [was:bill kendrick interview]

sol sol at autonomon.net
Thu Aug 22 14:57:27 WST 2002

>Interesting article John. He described the LUGODs running monthly installfests
>which, I guess, PLUG does through UCC meets but they have a perceived flavour of
>"maintenance" or tech help. Maybe the workshops could stress installation more
>since (and I'm concerned about this) the proposed PLUG installfest may have a
>big turnout this year; with more interest in Linux as it appears on lots o'
>magazine covers. If it goes (seriously) off and we can't get to everyone's
>install, then it'd be useful to start promoting installfestiveness at UCC each
>month.
>
>Idle thoughts .. thanks for the post.
>Harry

FWIW, my experience from my muso days (from long ago!) organising gigs,
etc, tells me that it's always better to have not enough space in a
venue than too much. A small-ish venue where people have to line up to
get in creates the perception that it's really popular, that there's got
to be something good going on inside. (Indeed, I recall reading about a
sociological experiment where extras were hired to line up in a queue
going nowhere in a public place. Random passers by intrigued by the
queue would join the queue - though they didn't know where it was going
- so as not to be 'missing out'.)

My advice is, if you're expecting a very large turnout for the
installfest - larger than what the venue and assembled volunteers might
be able to handle - definitely invite media. It will create more of a
buzz around OSS _and_ would be excellent publicity for PLUG.

regards,
sol