[plug] mass text formatting

sol sol at autonomon.net
Sun Aug 25 22:53:34 WST 2002

I've been asked my expert (yeah right! :-)) opinion on formatting a
relatively large directory of text. It's for an academic style book. ATM
there are hundreds of files in several directories. Each directory
represents a chapter, each file a section. It's all in order. And they
are all in M$ Word 97 format...

The task requires concatenating them without losing much, if any,
format. A desirable end result would be PDF format. HTML would be good
too IMO.

My limited experience with this tells me that I could use wv to convert
everything to either HTML or possibly XML, concatenate them, and then
run Tidy to remove all the excess header, footers and surplus
formatting. But this seems somewhat clumsy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for performing a task like this?

Thankyou,
sol