[plug] RH7.x

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 26 22:32:05 WST 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 21:05, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Colin Muller wrote:

<snip />

> "extreme traffic" appears (from experience) to mean the system gets a
> bit busy as a significant update, such as a kernel update, is available.
>
> Thus, to use the service, a person has to pay to be ensured access. The
> message above, makes it clear that Red Hat regards people who do not
> have paid support contracts, as not being entitled to the bug fixes.
>
> I had been trying for about a week, to get the kernel update. I have
> each time (apart from the time where I encountered the first error
> message about being short of space), encountered the message that the
> facility was only available to people with paid support contracts. Time
> of day is irrelevant, when this happens. (When the updates are not as
> significant, time of day can affect the updating, as the downloads are
> more available, if they are less significant.)
>
> It becomes a question of whether it is free, when it is not available
> to people who do not have paid support contracts.

I used the free update service with no real problem.  I had to have a
few goes at it when the new kernel became available but I was able to
get it late one night.  I think it is fair enough for them to charge for
priority access.  It's not like they won't allow free access, and they
do mirror the packages so you can always get them elsewhere if up2date
is not a convenient service...

<snip />
> --
> Bret Busby