[plug] More proof the Penguin is strong.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Dec 5 10:31:26 WST 2002

http://www.abc.net.au/news/scitech/2002/12/item20021205081457_1.htm

Pint-sized penguin plumbs new depths

Researchers are marvelling at a new record for the deepest dive by a
little penguin.

The study into the feeding and breeding habits of the world's smallest
penguin is being conducted at Phillip Island in Victoria.

Project leader Doctor Andre Chiaradia|C= says a male little penguin was
recorded at a depth of 57 metres this week, three metres deeper than the
birds were previously known to dive.

"Imagine there, we're talking about a penguin that is 33cm tall making
these amazing dives. Not only that, they can make 700 dives in one day
on average and in fact we've got one bird here that did 1,300 dives in
one day," he said.

"So it's pretty amazing considering the size of the penguin."