[plug] OT: Walk a mile in my shoes Mr Spammer!

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Dec 7 11:35:18 WST 2002

At 09:47 AM 12/07/2002, you wrote:
>On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 08:03 am, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> > As lovely as it sounds, retaliation in the form of sending lots of
> > messages or large messages back to a spammer is illegal in Australia.
> > Also, spammers are very clever at forging addresses and you may be
> > sending it to the wrong person. Even if the address is correct you are
> > confirming your email address which provides the spammer with a valuable
> > entity that he can then onsell.
>
>The spammer in question is not being bombarded by email.
>
>He was incautious enough to allow his real meatspace home address to leak
>out (he was boasting about the new US$750,000 home that profits from
>spamming built in a magazine article). He is getting every catalogue and
>snail mail advertisement that can be signed up for =:->.

We both know this because we followed the links that Daniel provided :) But
if you just read Daniel's message without reading the accompanying
articles, the content of Daniel's message can be considered ambiguous.
Hence my reply in relation to email.

Wrt unsolicited snail mail, in Australia, you can visit the post office and
make them aware that the received items are unsolicited mail. You have the
option to post it back to the sender, who then has to pay Australia Post
for the postage plus some. It is such a long time ago that I felt compelled
to do this, but I think this also covers hand delivered items into your
letter box if you have a "no junk mail" sign. Now, I just let the snails
get it :)

I am beginning to get junk mail in my PO Box hand delivered by the
postmaster. So either I will have to import the snails, or see how I can
hang a sign at the post office.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened
of the old ones. -- John Cage