[plug] [link] Westpac NZ toying with Linux servers

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Dec 18 09:49:34 WST 2002

    http://www.idg.net.nz/webhome.nsf/NL/10DFA1B6458D38ADCC256C8E000CF007

<quote>
Westpac is considering Linux as a future operating system for back-end systems
at branches and even its mainframes. [...]

Current back-end systems are based on Microsoft software while the mainframes
carry big Cobol/DB2 applications running on IBM mainframe OSes.

"We have had thoughts in the non-Windows direction," says Patrick. "We're
looking at options for Linux in our [branch] host environment, and it could
run on the mainframes, if we decide it makes sense to do that. We're always
looking for improved total cost of ownership [TCO], but we also have to
consider reliability. Some technologies have not been around long enough."
</quote>

Cheers; Leon