[plug] Fwd: Linux in libraries

Andrew Francis locust at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 1 14:40:27 WST 2002

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Sol wrote:

> Q.  Are there any licensing issues to worry about?
> A.  -=20

One thing that I've noticed is libraries carrying books with a Linux CDROM
in the back. The libraries tend to have a standard sticker which goes onto
all of these, to the effect of "you must not copy this CD, and must delete
anything you have installed onto your machine before you return the book."
Technically, I believe this is a violation of the software's license (GPL)
as it states (in section 6, regarding redistribution):

  You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
  exercise of the rights granted herein.

Which "you must not copy this CD" would seem to be.

--
Andrew Francis
locust at iinet.net.au