[plug] Fwd: Linux in libraries

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Fri Feb 1 14:57:25 WST 2002

On Fri,  1 Feb 2002 14:40, Andrew Francis wrote:

> One thing that I've noticed is libraries carrying books with a Linux CDROM
> in the back. The libraries tend to have a standard sticker which goes onto
> all of these, to the effect of "you must not copy this CD, and must delete
> anything you have installed onto your machine before you return the book."
> Technically, I believe this is a violation of the software's license (GPL)
> as it states (in section 6, regarding redistribution):
>
>   You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
>   exercise of the rights granted herein.
>
> Which "you must not copy this CD" would seem to be.

Perhaps a better sticker would include 'You MUST copy this CD.  You MUST NOT
delete anything you have installed onto your machine before you return the
book". =)

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

The so-called "desktop metaphor" of today's workstations is instead an
"airplane-seat" metaphor.  Anyone who has shuffled a lap full of papers while
seated between two portly passengers will recognize the difference -- one can
see only a very few things at once.
- Fred Brooks, Jr.