[plug] Fwd: Linux in libraries

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Feb 1 18:11:37 WST 2002

On Friday 01 February 2002 13:59, Sol wrote:
> Q.  What version of linux?
> A. -

Suggest a set of versions: RH, Mandrake, SuSE, Debian, LRP and maybe a
utilities CD with stuff like LTSP, TightVNC, OpenOffice etc.

> Q.  What format is it in? (eg. CD-ROM, CD-ROM + book, etc.)
> A.  -

CD-ROM and insert, I guess.

> Q.  What will it cost?
> A.  -

Can be zero for limited number of copies (maybe 10 or 20), or maybe $10-$20
(media costs) for the 6th and successive set?

> Q.  Can you (read PLUG) arrange supply or do we need to do that ourselves?
> A.  -

Yes.

> Q.  Are there any licensing issues to worry about?
> A.  -=20

No.

> Q.  Does it fall within the realm of an 'information resource', which is =
> what libraries are about?
> A.  -

Yes, especially if we include sources.

> Q.  Do you see us loaning it out or having a supply to sell/give away?
> A.  -

Loaning it out is a primary focus, but selling cheap copies would be good if
LISWA is so equipped.

Cheers; Leon