[plug] dialup problems

Sol solhanna at dingoblue.net.au
Fri Feb 1 22:34:25 WST 2002

I can't say that I know what the problem is (i'm still a newbie myself). But
here's a few suggestions:
1: Check you configuration files (either with whatever GUI tool Mandrake uses
or running pppconfig in the console as root).
2. As root restart the pppd (point-to-point protocol daemon) by typing
/etc/init.d/pppd stop
/etc/init.d/pppd start
I don't think that this is likely to solve the problem though. (Beats the
Windoze solution - rebooting.)
3. Try using wvdial. Just type wvdial at the console and it should dial -
unless you haven't configured it yet, in which case (from memory) you type
wvdialconf or just manually edit /etc/wvdial.conf.
If it works okay with wvdial then a) there's possibly a bug in kppp, and b)
you're problem is solved 'cos you can us wvdial. I'm assuming that you're
using some other computer and/or operating system to connect to the net and
send the previous emails. If this connection is holding then you can rule out
a problem with the line.
If problems persist it may be related to the modem.

HTH,

Sol

Hi Sol

Thanks for the reply

I am using the kppp and i get the error pppd died unexpectedly, exit
status 16

the connection lasts for about 5 to 10 seconds

I hope this sheds a little light

Thanks
Rick

> Hi Rick,
>
> Can you provide any more information: Error message? What dialup

application

> are you using (ie: wvdial, pppon)? Does it work for any length of time

- if

> so roughly how long?
> It could be a few things, and we'd need info to diagnose.
>
> Sol
>
> > hi Guys
> >
> > Can someone please help me out with a dialup drama, I have contacted
> > iiNet support and they dont offer services to assist linux users,

besides