[plug] Web Server Specs

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Mon Feb 11 14:19:18 WST 2002

G'Day all,
	 Its an important tmie in a young man's life when he gets to set up his
first rack-mount web server. Having not done anything of this magnitude
before I looking to the plug members for some guidance. The main questions
I have are :-
	Whats more important, RAM or Mhz?
	Is RAID worth it?
	Is one BA (Big Arse) server better than two smaller servers?
	Whats a good backup methodology?
	What kind of specs are required (ie Speed, RAM)?

	I understand that enough RAM to hold the entire website is a good thing,
but does that hold true for a database as well? Any further general
comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Adrian
Diskworld, Computer & IT