[plug] /etc/resolv.conf drama

garry garbuck at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 24 19:18:50 WST 2002

Hi,

I am on Woody, from a mini-woody distro iso.. Since installation, it has had
much installed, and been updated successfully.. FWIW, its on a 2.4.17 kernel,
wmaker etc..

The drama i have is that the file /etc/resolv.conf has a shocking memory.. I
load it up as follows:

search lappy
nameserver 203.12.160.35
nameserver 203.12.160.36

which is all well and good. Internet works fine through the firewall (using
dclient). Then, after what seems a random time, the internet stop working,
and sure enough the /etc/resolv.conf file  contents are :

search

Apart from being bloody annoying, it is frustrating to know that the gremlins
are at work..

Anyone seen a similar drama before?

TIA

Garry.