[plug] New screen

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Jan 27 18:58:15 WST 2002

At 08:59  27/01/02 , Mike wrote:
>I am about to delve into the black arts and change the monitor on my Linux
>desktop.

<snip>

>Help me I am scared.

Fear not, yon Mike, there is no Secret Linux Business :)

Indeed your surmising doth ring true. XF86Config I believe is for XFree86
version 3 whereas, if you now have XF86Config-4 then it looks like you've
got Xfree86 version 4 running. Probably the -4 file is the one that is
currently being used. Tho' your wisdom belies your years .. a copy of both
voids future tears.

Have a look at:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO/index.html
and
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO/index.html

The linuxdoc claims this is for version 4 and, if you are tweaking things
for the monitor then the Video-Timing-HOWTO is likely the most appropriate
read.

Don't believe the "you will blow up your monitor" warnings. Most modern
multisync monitors won't be toasted if you get it a bit wrong.

Good luck. Ask more if needed.

Harry