[plug] bios/firmware upgrades

Carl Gherardi C.Gherardi at curtin.edu.au
Fri Jul 5 15:06:54 WST 2002

Hi all,

I have several bits of hardware around the place which I wouldlike to apply
vendor firmware updates too.

Most (all?) of these patches tend to be windows-centric, usually an exe file
which extracts to a bootable floppy.

There are a couple fo things I would like to do.

1) Not require a windows box to do this. If the updates are disk images then
this isn't a problem, I can create the boot image using dd.

In this .exe case wine hasn't worked for me.

2) Place a series of these images on a CD (I hate floppy disks...) from
which I can select at boot time which one i'd like to install.

I'm quite happy for this stuff to run from dos, but a linux solution would
be nice.

(Think DVD region free firmware patches)

Cheers,

Carl