[plug] moving to linux

sol sol at autonomon.net
Wed Jul 24 20:57:58 WST 2002

Hi there one and all,

If you've got a spare moment could you please check out a page I've been
working on for the PLUG website aimed as being a stepping off point for
finding out about desktop linux applications.

www.autonomon.net/linux_move.html

This page was more complicated for a few reasons and I'd like a bit of
feedback on the following points:
1. I asked this question before but it's more complicated than one might
think. That's regarding the download links. Where possible I've linked
to PlanetMirror. This is easy with, say, OpenOffice which has it's own
section. But for something like Galeon, it literally occurs hundreds of
times on PlanetMirror not to mention other WAIX mirrors. The question as
to which link to put up becomes vexing, and I think putting up heaps of
links is cumbersome and fraught with the danger of having to edit the
links on a regular basis.
To make things even more difficult, some things like Konqueror are
tightly bound into KDE and downloading it without KDE is pointless. I've
seriously considered removing the download links for this reason. Any
suggestions?

2. I've started with a very simple scroll down presentation. This was
the path of least resistance. I considered breaking it up into sections
based on separate pages based on the office suites (KDE, Gnome & OOo) or
on software genres. Instead I stuck to a simple breakdown on genres. But
even this was a little tricky as sometimes the apps a so dissimilar. I'm
no web design guru and I see no reason for elaborate presentation, but
if anyone has any practical suggestions for improving the presentation
I'd appreciate your comments.

3. This list is by no means exhaustive. But it's a start. If your
favourite desktop GUI app isn't on this list you can email me with a
request. But do me the favour of sending a link to the home page and a
link to a local mirror. :-)

Perhaps I'll actually post this page someday! ;-)

regards,
sol