[plug] PCMCIA->PCI bridge?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Jun 2 18:23:31 WST 2002

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 05:18:16PM +1000, Andrew Furey wrote:
> I'm trying to get a Belkin F5D6000z wireless PCMCIA ->
> desktop PCI adapter working (Debian woody, 2.2.18
> kernel).
> The pcmcia-cs programs seem to not recognise the
> adapter at all. From what I can gather it uses a
> PLX9052 chipset (can't confirm this, it's in the
> machine at present).

I once had a bridge that was PCI 2.2, and I was trying to put it
into a Pentium style machine, which was only PCI2.1 It would see
the device, sometimes, but not be able to use it. Checking your hardware
would be a starting point...

> I've done a bit of searching but I can hardly find any
> mention of this card at all, much less with 2.2. I can
> upgrade to 2.4.18 if really necessary, although it's
> not my first choice (various ipchains/iptables
> issues).

Ipchains commands can be used with iptables; there are wrapper scripts to
help you do this (almost) transparently. IPtables is much more powerful.
You really *should* try 2.4. Especially with Debian: apt-get install
kernel-image-2.4.18-<flavour>. I generally only run the Debian packaged
kernels now and find them to be very good.

There are a *lot* more drivers in 2.4 than 2.2.

> Anyone had any luck with these beasts? Or should I try
> and flog it off to a Windoze user? ;)

I ended up getting a PCMCIA -> ISA bridge, so dodged the PCI problem.
They have worked well for me with the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html