[plug] Watching DVD's under Linux

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Thu Jun 6 12:43:18 WST 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:26:52AM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> They are knobs, you can't ask them questions directly, but have to subscribe
> to a mailing list, I'm already on enough of them thank you! Maybe a forum or
> something? Gawd! An IRC channel would be good too! Anyway, I find Xine to be
> too crashy for my tastes, if you start fiddling with things it gets killed.
> Mplayer is much more stable, albeit slower, due to the Mhz involved (500 and
> on), but it's not very crashy and you can tweak it to your heart's content.
> I'm not really a big fan of Xine, sorry (I tried to like it, but it just
> didn't like me!).

Perhaps if *feels* slower on machines < 500mhz because mplayer doesn't drop
frames by default. Playing back DVDs is a cpu intensive task and I don't think
any machine < 500mhz is going to be able to do it in real time unless there is
some hardware assistance.

Yes the developers are rather nasty, so just stay away! The documentation is
very comprehensive, if you have a problem ask on this list :)

Later,

Jason Nicholls
Jason Nicholls    icq: 11745841    email: <jason at mindsocket.com.au>
http://jason.mindsocket.com.au/    mobile: 0417 410 811