[plug] setting up - "the Dark Art"

sol sol at autonomon.net
Fri Jun 14 14:59:55 WST 2002

##NB: What follows is my opinion only, take it or leave it, the decision
is 100% yours.

Sounds like you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty. Under these
circumstances I would strongly recommend using Debian. I moved over to
Debian after nearly a year using SuSE, and have been using it for about
8 months now. During that time my knowledge of Linux and computing in
general has really shot ahead compared to when I was using SuSE. I'm not
knocking SuSE, it's just that ultimately, all the hand-holding doesn't
do the user any favours. It's best to dive in a get a grasp of what's
going on beneath the bonnet.

I would recommend Debian to you because it has by far the best packet
management system in dpkg/apt-get/deselect. If you want something you
can browse through dselect find what you want and just install it. So if
you don't like one mail client you can just download another and try
that five minutes later. And there's no need to worry about dependencies
and conflicts as dpkg resolves these intelligently.

Secondly the documentation is brilliant. I've downloaded entire manuals
for applications I've tried out. It's a great way to learn.

Debian is highly configurable. It really is the distro for those who
like to "roll your own". Sounds like you want to use Linux in a variety
of situations and this feature will come in very handy.

It's completely free as in freedom and has a large support community.
This also means it's virtually free as in price too. And it's going to
stay that way.

The downside is that initially there is a fairly steep learning curve
and you'll have to configure your own kernel to get your hardware
working. However, when I encountered difficulty I brought my pc along to
one of the PLUG workshops and got some very useful help from friendly
PLUGers. This might be an option for you getting started.

With regards to the specifics:
emailclient: (take your pick) Mozilla, evolution, kmail, balsa, mutt, etc
internet access: pppconfig sets up the connection and then you use pon.
Also has option of ppp on demand.
word processing: for uni assignment I use LyX which creates neat PDF
docs with auto footnotes, etc. Otherwise Abiword or Kword are fine. Oh,
not to mention the very M$ Word-like OpenWriter
spreadsheet: (take your pick) gnumeric, kspread, opencalc - there're all
good
graphics: for posters etc, I use Scribus. But again, there's heaps of
stuff available, it depends on what you're doing

regards,
sol