[plug] Why pump ?

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Jun 20 10:04:37 WST 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Harry McNally wrote:

> I'll try to answer myself .. I _thought_ pump allowed you to leave
> /etc/network/interfaces intact and let pump take over setup using the UCC DHCP
> server. That way, when you wander home, the machine comes up honky dory on the
> home network. Does it do this and dhcp-client doesn't ?

Yes pump will happily ignore /etc/network/interfaces  BUT it will
trash /etc/resolv.conf, meaning that you _should_ take a backup first
before pumping.

> Other ideas welcome but I'd _really_ like to know why "pump is my friend" :-)

Personally I'm yet to find a network where pump fails but dhclient works.
OTOH I've found several where the dhclient fails but pump works.

"pump" is much easier to type :)

I think pump was there first.

Debian specific stuff below
o pump supports debconf
o pump is smaller (112 vs 351)
o pump is in base, dhcp-client is in net

HTH

Yours Tony

Jan 22-26 2003      Linux.Conf.AU       http://conf.linux.org.au/
         The Australian Linux Technical Conference!