[plug] [OT] New iiNet ADSL Schemes

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Mon Jun 24 10:08:13 WST 2002

WestNet also have made a few changes to their ADSL plans as well.
 (Competition is good isn't it? :) )

One thing to be aware of is that both peak and off peak get shaped if
you go over the peak limit on iiNet, but WAIX doesn't get shaped whether
you're over the peak limit or not.  The only real differences between
WestNet's and iiNet's plans in terms of what you get, are that iiNet has
dynamic IP vs WestNet static, iiNet block some ports vs WestNet not
blocking any ports, go over the peak limit with iiNet all external
traffic all the time is shaped vs pay 6cents/Mb over your peak limit on
WestNet, and WestNet's plans are slightly more expensive.  Both have
free WAIX of course :).

If you look at iiNet's business ADSL plans, which have static IPs and
the option of paying an excess rather than being shaped, they end up
being less desirable than WestNet's plans.  So if you can live with
being on a dynamic IP and being shaped to dial-up speeds if you go over
your peak limit go for iiNet, if you can't then go for WestNet.

At the moment I'm with WestNet for ADSL and not planning on changing,
personally I'd rather pay a little bit more and get a static, no blocked
ports and have full speed broadband access all of the time.  If I go
over my peak download limit, I still want to get broadband type access
speeds, even if I am paying excess.  The download limits are pretty
generous anyway.

Personal preference really.  Depends what sort of broadband "experience"
you want to get :).

/ Ben