[plug] [OT] New iiNet ADSL Schemes

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 24 10:53:27 WST 2002

Ben Jensz wrote:
> WestNet also have made a few changes to their ADSL plans as well.
> (Competition is good isn't it? :) )

Definitely! By the time ADSL gets to my 'burb, and I can afford it, they'll
be providing free beer too! -_^

> If you look at iiNet's business ADSL plans, which have static IPs and
> the option of paying an excess rather than being shaped, they end up
> being less desirable than WestNet's plans.  So if you can live with
> being on a dynamic IP and being shaped to dial-up speeds if you go over
> your peak limit go for iiNet, if you can't then go for WestNet.

Yep! I'd prefer WestNet's, since Web Apps is my proffession, and I'd like
to host a home server, but right now I can't afford that extra $20 (or the
risk of running over-quota).

Bret Busby wrote:

 > Could someone please clarify something for me?
 >
 > My understanding is that having a static IP address, rather than a dynamic
 > IP address (allocated newly each new login), makes a user more vulnerable
 > to security breach attempts (it is easier to hit a still target, than a
 > moving target).
 >
 > Is that correct?

Pretty much! If all you want is access to the 'net, then there's nothing
wrong with a Dynamic IP.

But I, and I'm sure other PLUGgers, would like to host their own Web, Mail,
and other services on their own home Boxen, to tinker to their hearts
content, and feel confident they can thwart any security threats.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |