[plug] [OT] New iiNet ADSL Schemes

Arkem (Paul) arkem at mornmist.2y.net
Mon Jun 24 11:50:26 WST 2002

> > If you look at iiNet's business ADSL plans, which have static IPs and
> > the option of paying an excess rather than being shaped, they end up
> > being less desirable than WestNet's plans.  So if you can live with
> > being on a dynamic IP and being shaped to dial-up speeds if you go over
> > your peak limit go for iiNet, if you can't then go for WestNet.
>
> Yep! I'd prefer WestNet's, since Web Apps is my proffession, and I'd like
> to host a home server, but right now I can't afford that extra $20 (or the
> risk of running over-quota).

I'm currently with Telstra and have been thinking about moving to Westnet but
now iiNet is tempting me. I prefer the shaped option rather than paying for
extra downloads especially since I'm not the person who's responsible for the
connection. iiNet blocks smtp, http, https and ipx ports IIRC and none of
these bother me too much except for the block on port 25 (port 80 is kind of
bad but the few users who use my webserver are smart enough to find the page
if it were on a non-standard port) I run a mail server that's attached to a
dynamic sub-domain and if I moved to iiNet it'd be near impossible for me to
keep up that service. Otherwise I'd be off to iiNet in a flash =)

> But I, and I'm sure other PLUGgers, would like to host their own Web, Mail,
> and other services on their own home Boxen, to tinker to their hearts
> content, and feel confident they can thwart any security threats.

It's not too hard to tinker togethor an appropriate firewall via iptables and
some other precautions and the little bit of effort was justified to me by
the looks I got from a couple of friends when I told them that I wrote my own
firewall and rules (when they asked about what firewall software I used).

Anyway I'm very pleased to see iiNet bring out there new plans because they'll
go a long way IMHO in bringing broadband to the masses =)

- Paul C

P.S Would it be possible for me to set up iiNet as the mail exchanger for the
dynamic subdomain so that they could route my email for me? Just a thought.