[plug] Mount Permisions

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Jun 26 10:04:05 WST 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Paul Dean wrote:

> Hya Tim,
>
> First question, Do you want the drive to be in 'ro' mode?
> If so then change your fstab file 'ntfs' to 'smbfs'. If you don't then
> change 'ro' to 'rw' as well.
> You can use samba to mount a drive and read/write to it what ever the
> winblows file system format is.
> This means that you will need at lest samba-client installed.

Are you sure?
I'm pretty sure that samba is a network suite and can't access ntfs directly
on the same host.  It can't sahre ntfs filesystems out from MS box to a Linux
box but that's not appropriate here as David lists the device as "/dev/hda1"
It's clearly local.

David, You may like to update your system to woody and a 2.4 kernel as the
NTFS support is much improved there.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!