[plug] P75 & Linux

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 28 19:27:17 WST 2002

> > and since it seems that I can't fit Xwindows on the P75's 1 Gb HDD it
> > will be fun to try and run the xserver on my main machine (Red Hat
> > 7.3) from the console on the P75 (Debian).

> Actually, where X is concerned, the client is the where the program
> runs, and the server is where it displays itself.  In other words, if
> you wanted to run a program on your main machine and see it on your P75,
> the server would be the P75.
Yeah, think he just worded the original badly, seems to say "run X on
RH73, client apps on p75-deb via console login" - yes?

> While this might seem backwards, it does make sense if you think about
> it.
One of my housemates disagrees quite violently. Its funny actually, but
he does make one intestesting comment, best demonstrated by:

The network client runs an X server; The application server
runs the x clients that connect to the X server running on the network
client.

If you're not already used to X client/server, that'll probably make you
want to find the person responsible and flay them with a ribbon cable.
Now re-read that, dropping "network client" and "application server" to
"client" and "server" respectively (as most people will do when
thinking networking) and you see the problem.

> The alternative solution is even more light-weight.  You can install a
> basic X server on your P75 and then setup your grunty box to host the X
> session using XDCMP (just like an xterm in the old days).  It's a bit
> messier, and you probably won't be able to get Red Hat's GUI installer
> to set it up for you, but it will mean that your P75 is using much less
> space and resources.
yay!
My fave is P100 with no hard disk, boot floppy with PXE, tftp kernel
load, kernel net autoconfig, nfs root, start X server, XDMCP from more
powerful host. It lets one of my housemates use a real system, including
OpenOffice and KDE (she's a button hampster, Wmaker etc would probably
make her explode) off a P100 at useable speeds.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)