[plug] Strange network problem

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Thu Jun 27 19:56:05 WST 2002

I have two redhat 7.3 machines, DHCP served, that are part of a four (4)
computer home network.
Recently I discovered the domain name I picked was in use out on the
internet and was causing some problems.  So I changed my domain name,using
the kde control panel, and checked on my windows2K machine ( I changed his
workgroup name to the new domain name also) that I could still see the samba
shares on both redhat machines, with the new domain name.  Everything seemed
fine.
I rebooted both linux machines last night (for no particular reason) and
when they came back up they could not see the network.  I checked ifconfig
and eth0 was there but had no IP address.
The windows machine is also dhcp served and it had received its IP with no
problems.

I did a route command and the only route showing is the 127.0.0 route

Does anyone know why a domain name change only, would cause this result.

I used verified the cards in both machines were set up for dhcp and then, as
root, did a "service network restart".  Everything restarts EXCEPT eth0.  It
will not activate.
I also tried it from the kde control panel and eth0 will not activate from
there either.

phil