[plug] Apache configuration & Linux Standard Base?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 14 11:34:05 WST 2002

Daniel,

I believe that in the early days Apache obeyed the NCSA standard whereby
the configuration files were a set of three.  At some point in the
development there was a move to flesh out the httpd.conf file and I think
that holds true to this day.  As for file placement, my only experience is
with Debian as the distro and compiling Apache from source so I used the
Apache suggestions for file locations of the binaries, confs, etc.

I could be entirely wrong (flame suit = on) but many distros may be trying
to package Apache (etc) in a plug-and-play mode with consequent variations
on the naming conventions and locations for config. files.  If you're
wanting standardisation I'd be on side with the "boring and predictable"
brigade and do an install from source following a thorough read of the doco.

HTH,
Denis

Daniel wrote in part:
Hi Plug, from the little I know different distributions appear to use
different files to set up Apache:
Redhat - original 3 files cut down to one (httpd.conf)
Mandrake - commonhttpd.conf, httpd.conf
Debian ?
<snip>