[plug] OO not so good ...

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu May 2 09:48:17 WST 2002

Thanks, but I think I'll subscribe to the lists first - before I give up
anyway. I have been using 641c and then 642 until now (and SO
4.0->5.2->6.0 beta before that).  The font problem is weird and may be
something to do with my setup on Mandrake Linux.

The specifics are if I import a word doc and the font is not on the
machine, I get the nearest match, which is usually times for times new
roman.  If I create a doc it gets "times".  Text is displayed OK but
quotes (single, double etc and some other characters such as the tilde)
are displayed as question marks.  On one machine under 641c/642 I could
substitute the fonts (times new roman -> times) or even select a
different font it came good, on the other it did not.  Once I added the
windows fonts, it all came good on both systems.  Now a document that I
created in 642 with times new roman, opened in 1.0 gives the old
behaviour with the question marks.  The font changes on screen but the
question marks remain.  Same if I create a document from scratch.

It will be tonight before I can get back to this but I would be
interested in hearing if anyone else see's this type of problem so I can
pin it down.

Thanks,
BillK