[plug] Linux beats Windows in cost study

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon May 6 17:37:19 WST 2002

On Monday 06 May 2002 17:20, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> This same article was posted to a schoolie list by someone else, and what
> they have filtered out the article, is how many IT professionals that you
> need to support 250 computers in a school, and that Linux professionals get
> paid more.

I think my chequebook stopped reading at the point where the M$
software-plus-licencing budget exceeded $1,000,000.00 per employee versus
about 30c per employee for Linux.

If you read the Peruvian article (see mails entitled `Go Peru!'), Microsoft
accounted software and licencing costs as 8% of all IT expenses (and then
went on to claim that losing this will devastate the Peruvian IT market in a
later point, which faux pas the nice Senator proceeded to bludgeon them with,
but that's another story), so in theory the max saving would be 8% of IOT
spending.

OTOH, school IT budgets, particularly small schools, would hardly match the
average industry profile. Not many corporations factor in donated computer
hardware or volunteer time. Does anyone have any hard data (as percentages
rather than $ amounts) for categories of IT spending in Australian schools?
Mike?

Cheers; Leon