[plug] Re: [OT} Understanding routes (was: Sizes of mirrrors? Waix, Planetmirror ?)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed May 15 10:13:23 WST 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002 09:26:52 +0800
"Ben Jensz" <jensz at wn.com.au> wrote:

> One thing I would note is that ComIndico announced on the WAIX list that
> they were supposed to be stopping peering their eastern states network on
> WAIX.  So even though PlanetMirror etc are still peered on WAIX at the
> moment, if you're joining an ADSL provider that offers free WAIX, then I'd
> be checking to make sure it still is peered on the WAIX before downloading a
> couple of isos off of it :)

This raises an interesting (well .. to me :) newbie-type thought.

I'd be happy to know where I can download to reduce the Telstra traffic cost to
the ISP I use; simply because, in the end, we both win. Costs are lower so the
ISP stays in business whenever the price is driven down by the "deep pockets".
If the ISP offers free WAIX and I take advantage of that then I reserve my
download budget for other things.

What I would like to see is either:

-help on the ISP web pages to explain what I can get at for free (and how to use
traceroute etc), or

-a handy little web field at the ISP that I enter an URL and it responds with:
"OOo, this'll cost ya" or
"Go Onnn! Slurp away (free! Free!)"

(Maybe able to paste a list of URLs when there are multiple mirrors available)

Do any of the ISPs provide this sort of mutually helpful information ?

cu
Harry