[plug] Trying to configure X

David & Lisa Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Mon May 20 22:00:28 WST 2002

Hi all,

I've just finished installing Debian woody onto my machine.  I'm running it
on a PII 333Mhz machine with 64Mb RAM and a 7 Gigabyte partition for Linux.
I have an ATI Mach64 rage IIC video card.  I have a 14" monitor.

I've got the video card configured without difficulty, however configuring
the monitor has been somewhat problematic.  I've been at this now most of
the night without success and am rapidly running out of hair 8-).  Even
choosing the 640x480 pure VGA option for the monitor has not been
successful.  It seems to be a problem with the horisontal synch - it seems
to be repeating the screen (overlapping) in the horisontal direction -
vertically appears fine.

Is there a way to probe the hardware to determine the capabilities of the
monitor?

Also, I have set the video system to go via the frame-buffer rather than the
traditional method.  I would like to try the traditional method but do not
know how to configure this.  Is this likely to be the culprit?

thanks heaps in advance guys

David Buddrige