[plug] routing - now *really* [OT]

Peter J. Nicol peternicol at vrl.com.au
Tue May 21 22:40:32 WST 2002

>  I have a three machine network with a win2000 as my ics gateway and two
>  others running linux.  The linux boxes are set to 192.168.0.1,
>  192.168.0.2,
>  and the win2000 is 192.168.0.3
>  I run ics on the win2000.
>  If what you say is true, why would I not see ip conflict
>  message, about two
>  machines on 192.168.0.1, everytime ics gets turned on?  I don't get them
>  now.

no, it seems it is only an XP issue:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/r1014529994

I thought I had seen it in 98, but I was probably wrong.

Anyway, this is a fun "feature" in XP.  Say you setup your system with a
different ip, but then configure ics.  Say you have any other machines that
see this machine, perhaps to share files, if you then turn of ics for any
reason, the ip reverts, and your users lose their shares, and any open
connections.