[plug] Opinion : RedHat 7.3 First Impressions?

Patrick Tehvand Patrick at perthix.net
Thu May 23 08:10:01 WST 2002

Craig.

I - like many after the 7.2 desktop issues - eagerly d/l the isos as soon as they were announced and whacked it onto my primary workstation at home. Install was pretty standard for RH latest offerings. Easy if you are happy with defaults =)  and a little more tricky if you like going through package by package. I'm running it on an Athlon 1800 which was fine (had no issues as far as hardware is concerned but then again I have no usb, and fairly common parts.

Boot is good. (Oh how I love GRUB and its mini command line interface) and the default Gnome set-up was pretty good (other than the fact that both Gnome and Nautilus were rendering the icons so there was this annoying 2 icons for the price of one thing happening (easily fixed with the help pages).

Install took about 18 mins which is marginally better than 7.2 and integration to M$ is fine.

Overall it is a nice package for the desktop but I'm sticking with earlier releases for servers.

Patrick