[plug] The mouse and X

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed May 29 16:06:25 WST 2002

> Is there another way of blocking resolutions and/or forcing specific
> resolutions
Make sure your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (or just XF86Config, depends on
version) file contains the following entries in the "Monitor" section:

HorizSync nn.n - nn.n
VertRefresh nn.n - nn.n

Values for n can be found in your monitor manual. Alternately I know
that read-edid (debian package, probably an rpm of it somewhere) can
query the monitor for them with modern and decent video cards and monitors.

Its quite likely you see that X just doesn't know what video modes your
monitor is capable of, and is playing it safe.

Alternately you could be using the VGA driver of XFree86 v3 :-( which
can only do 640x480. Should this prove to be the case, you'll need to
set up the native driver for your video hardware.

 > without using the configuration tool?
Nope, if C-A-+/- doesn't do a switch then the Xserver just doesn't know
it can do anything but 640x680 (assuming you have the other resolutions
in the config file and its ignoring them).

To find out why its ignoring the resolutions you requested, drop to the
console (kill gdm/kdm/xdm) and execute:

X -v >&/tmp/xlog

When it comes up, use CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE to kill the xserver and have a
look at the "Not using default mode "NNNxNNN" (reason)" bits.

'luck

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.